Monday, August 23, 2010

Yanin and the best weekend in Belgrade

March, 2010 -The best things usually come unexpectedly and spontaneously. However, when Yanin told me she was going to visit me at the weekend, being a planning maniac, I immediately started thinking where to take her out. I think I have a very important role and obligation when I promise someone that Belgrade is the best place in the world for partying. The person who I promise this to comes to Belgrade with high expectations, I guess, and I consider it my duty to reach his/her demands. This is sometimes very stressful, because I feel responsible if anything goes wrong, even if it does not depend on me at all, such as the train being delayed, dreadful weather, somebody’s impolite comment or the worst of all nightmares – a party falling through.

I have several “tested” places, which never let me down, when it comes to my foreign friends: my second home, Insomnia, which impresses my guests, although it is specific in a very unusual and sometimes even grotesque way (usually on for Saturdays nights); Black Turtle Pub, with its world-famous-because-of-me blueberry beer and quite a different atmosphere than at Insomnia (perfect on Sunday evenings); Club Sound, with groovy music and shiny people, unfortunately opened only during summer. However, the fun percentage also depends on lots of exterior factors that I cannot possibly change, even if I had the influence of the President. That is why I try to plan what I can to the last detail, in order to avoid the risk of failure. For Yanin, I planned Friday night out at Plastic club, but I made a crucial mistake – I forgot to check the music schedule myself and instead relied on what I hear from some well-informed-party-people :/

So, Yanin arrived on Friday evening and she became a part of my running-I-am-late hysteria instantly. I hardly welcomed the girl properly when I forced her into a cab and told the driver to “step on it” because I was late for – my manicurist appointment. The hysteria weakened when we got to Sandra’s salon, where she relaxed us with her easy-goingness and sense of humor. We talked about nails, fashion, boys, gossips, Lady Gaga (the most important factor of Yanin’s and mine friendship!) and Sandra even did Yanin’s nails free of charge to show her the genuine Serbian generousness and hospitality. From the salon, we went to my place where my mum (of course, as told by me 4 days before) welcomed us with warm proja (corn bread with cheese) and tomato soup. It was a real pleasure to see Yanin enjoying the food and I think my mum glowed with satisfaction and pride. After the dinner, we got ready, called for a cab and headed for Plastic. That’s then the first incident started – of course, you’re already guessing, the reason was the bastard cab driver.. However, I will not waste time talking about totally unimportant people.

We got the Plastic and there was another annoying surprise – there was a DJ from abroad performing that night and there was an entrance fee. This is not really unusual in clubs abroad, but it is considered as a perfect insult in Belgrade. Add the over-the-top price for a wardrobe and you are already a bit cranky. And then – another shock – instead of popular house I expected, the DJ spun some electro- house thing and I was already thinking where to go next. Fortunately, Yanin loved it and we both lightened up when we realized we were surrounded by lots of sexy guys who seemed they were having the time of their lives. The music got better after a while so we started dancing and I was happy for not deciding to go somewhere else. The funniest part of the evening was when we were approached by three hot guys, unfortunately, 10 years younger than us on average! What really surprised me was the way they were persistent and almost a bit pushy. Not a sign of shyness, hesitation or reservation, unlike guys who are 10 years older than them. Actually, I had troubles to shake them off; they literally hardly let us leave the club! Finally, we got on the cab at around 4 a.m. and giggling like two teenagers agreed it was a great night out, after all.


I planned to take Yanin sightseeing on Saturday. My usual route is: Republic Square, Knez Mihailova, the Kalemegdan fortress, National Assembly and the Town Hall and St. Sava’s Temple. But, we got only to Knez Mihailova and then we felt an urge to enter every single store and thus, sightseeing turned into shopping around. Plus, it started raining and we had to meet Ivana for a coffee so we sat at Choco CafĂ© and happily ate a delicious chocolate fondue. What I really like about Yanin is her outgoingness and the lack of reservation. After only 10 minutes, Ivana and she were talking as if they had known each other for years. I felt so relaxed and completely blissful at that moment – I had just finished shopping and I was sitting with my two dear friends, eating a chocolate fondue, not counting the calories and the day was not over yet.


Insomnia was the next on the list, of course. Dunja, who is simply irreplaceable when it’s time to go to there joined us. As usual, we had one of the best tables at the bar and the best waiter and when the inevitable Melon tinis arrived, we suddenly resembled a Sex-and-the-city scene: there we were, just three us of, dressed in fancy clothes, sitting in the poshest bar in the city, sipping cocktails, taking photos, chattering, warming up for the gig of the so-much-talked-about-by-me “Magic Beans” band. When it comes to this band, they have never failed me, so I did not worry about a thing. Furthermore, it was even better than I had planned because some of my friends that I had not planned, decided to join, so instead of 4 people, there were 8 of us. That’s spontaneity.

I have been to these gigs lots of times and we always say after it that it had been the best night ever. But, last weekend with Yanin, Dunja, Nina, Ivana, Jovana, Milos, Sandra and later on, Marko & co. was absolutely, utterly, completely, definitely the most brilliant, superb and the most awesome night out – The band played even better than usual, we all danced and sang, we stepped on the dance floor first and we burnt it! I will never forget how happy I felt at the moment – not so much because of me, but because Yanin was having the time of her life, she was glowing, the smile on her face was unforgettable and she looked she could fly any second. I could never have imagined it would be so great. We asked for a Lady Gaga’s song and when the band fulfilled our wish, seeing Yanin, I felt proud of living in a city where your dreams come true. The gig ended around three, but by this time, we had already wasted so much energy that we only had enough strength to call the cab and go home. I actually presented Yanin as my special guest, who came here all the way from Thailand and people saw her as a princess. She was the star of the evening.


Sunday came and with it, a special family lunch. As suggested by my mum, she made traditional Balkan delicacy called “sarma”. I was a bit doubtful about this, but I promise I will never ever doubt my mum’s suggestions. Not only did Yanin ate it, but she did it with such a satisfaction that just looking at her made our hearts glow (Oh, forgot to mention that she even had one sarma when he got home from the club, although it was only half-cooked). I am not telling how much she had for lunch, but have to mention that she spent the next 3 hours in bed. And, although she still did not feel totally well on Monday, she had more sarma for breakfast…and lunch. My mum was so happy, that I think she is going to talk about this for months.

Monday was Yanin’s last day here and I was determined to take her sightseeing. Again spontaneously and without planning Dunja, Nina and Marko N. decided to join and, instead of taking the girl to see the Kalemegdan fortress or St. Sava’s temple, the hallmarks of Belgrade, we took her to try the best pizza in the world, at Bucko’s. It was followed by the unique plasma-shake at Insomnia and then it was already time to go home and take Yanin to the central station. The most spontaneous and the best thing happened then – since I persuaded Dunja not to go to the Uni and instead have coffee with us, she couldn’t go back to the Uni or home, so I suggested going with me to see Yanin off – this idea also seemed interesting to Nina and when we also talked Marko into going with us, rather than going back home to write an essay, we made a group hug, jumped around, making Nina’s special “uapa” sounds, to express our joy – unforgettable moment.

We arrived at my place and we, the locals, ate some cake, sitting at the table and watching Yanin eating sarma. She was magical, almost surreal. I think none of us will ever forget this moment.


Then, came the sad moment – when Yanin entered the train and we stood at the platform. I am usually very sad when I have to return home from abroad, but never have I been so sad when I was seeing someone off. It was so touching when Dunja, Marko and I were standing there and Yanin was singing the tune from Thai national anthem. It was a magical moment and I was on the verge off tears. The train left Belgrade, exactly at 21:25 and we started shouting good-byes, jumping, waving, telling her to come back as soon as possible.

You have to meet Yanin to understand why I miss her so much. She is charming, cute, fun, outgoing, generous, energetic. She radiates positive energy. My family adores her, my friends are all missing her (Nina’s sadly “uoaping” without Yanin, Dunja didn’t mind freezing to see her off, Marko didn’t care about his essay). She can heal you – she recharged my batteries for months, I haven’t felt so purely happy, without any specific reason, for a long time. She made such a positive impression on all of us. I will never be able to eat sarma, hear a Lady Gaga’s song without, eat curry, think of Budapest, without thinking of her.


I am still happy because she lives very close to Belgrade and I am quite sure I will see her soon. Besides, I have adopted her, so she's a part of our big, happy family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment