Monday, August 23, 2010

The parade we need

September 2009 - Before I start I would like to point out that what you’re about to read (or not) has absolutely nothing to do with politics or politicians. I do not belong to any political party or organization. I want to express how I feel from a view of an ordinary citizen of Belgrade.

Firstly, I can’t but not start from the so- much- mentioned Gay Parade, that is, its cancellation. Do I have anything against gay population? No. I know some pretty awesome gay people and I have nothing but the best opinion of them. Do I have something against the Parade? No, I don’t. Why? Because it is in Serbian Constitutional right that every free citizen has a right to organize a peaceful gathering in the city and everyone has the right to attend one, as long as they do not harm anyone or do not destroy public property. Let me explain why I was angry, disappointed and sad that the Parade was cancelled – not because I wanted to go, but because violence and nationalism have prevailed over a citizen right! There’s a pro-nationalistic organization whose members have been gathering and protesting in the very heart of Belgrade every day for maybe a year now. Do I have anything against them? No. It’s their choice and their right. They do not harm anyone; they do not destroy the city. They are trying to achieve their goal by the means they consider the suitable ones. So, if they are allowed to protest every day, why can’t the gays be allowed to express whatever they want just one day in a year? But, do I think that the Pride parade was a good idea at the moment? No. Because some other things have to be dramatically rooted out first.

Now, this leads to the core of the problem and my bitterness. Why does the Government allow a group of aggressive hooligans, who do not have any goal, but to get rid of their negative energy by beating someone up or breaking the window panes of the shops to prevail? More importantly, why do WE, the free citizens of Belgrade, allow that?

Last week brought us nothing but embarrassment. First, there were so many calls for terrorism, aggression and blood shed against the gays. Second, two French tourist who were watching a match in a local pub were beaten up so badly that they ended up in E.R. and one of them had to be operated twice. It is said in the papers today that one of them is still in critical condition. Yesterday, an Australian tourist was also battered, while walking peacefully with his friends through the main park in Belgrade, the pride of us Belgraders, after buying some souvenirs. Not to mention that he did not come here to support the Parade, but to attend the wedding of his fellowman who married a local girl.

And again, for God knows which time, we sent yet another bad picture of ourselves to the world. Again, the image the world has of us is of blood-thirsty, nationalistic, barbarians who attack and beat up poor tourists who contributed to our economy by visiting our country. And, what about the foreigners who are absolutely in love this city? Will some interview my friend Clarissa, an American, who has been in Belgrade for 5 times in less than 2 years because she thinks that people here are friendly and cool and because she loves the city? Of course they won’t. Will someone hear the case of Pete, an Englishman, who’s moved to Belgrade because he considers it the “safest city in Europe” and because he has met super cool people here? No, they won’t. Will someone ever hear about my friends, Sotiris and Alexis, who consider Belgrade their home? Will someone hear about me and some people I know who have been promoting Belgrade in the best possible ways and who have hosted dozens of people and showed the read Serbian hospitality? No. They will only hear the stories of the poor Frenchmen and the Australian who came here with high expectations and ended up in E.R.

As CS Ambassador of Belgrade, my duty is to promote my city and present it in the best possible way. And I have been fulfilling my task more than dutifully. I can’t even remember how many times I have told people:” This is the coolest, the craziest, the liveliest, the SAFEST, and the FRIENDLIEST city in Europe! You don’t know what you are missing if you don’t experience Belgrade!” And what do I tell them now? What am I going to say to my friend, Deniss from Estonia, whom I have been convincing to come here for 2 years? He’s due to come on 20th October and my promise to him was that he would have the time of his life here. Now, I am not sure about that. Because, if I can’t guarantee his safety in the centre, how can it be the time of his life? I’ve been assuring my co-workers, from Myanmar, that nothing bad could ever happen to them here. I probably look ridiculous now. I am embarrassed, not of my city, but of the minority who’s impairing my city’s good name and reputation.

3 days ago, a hooligan threw a torch in a bus full of passengers and an innocent girl got severe burnings. Yesterday, I accidentally got on a bus full of football supporters. They were singing, shouting, smoking, drinking beer, hitting the roof of the bus. And everyone else was just watching. The irony of it? The oldest was maybe 18! Who is performing intimidation over Belgraders? Kids. Immature, rude, violent brats, who are not afraid of anyone, not even police. What I would like to know is, where does all this anger come from? I grew up in the 90s, the most difficult, crime-ridden, years and yet, I’ve stayed normal as well as the majority of my generation. I am sure that the present group of 15-17-year olds grew up in far better conditions and they are unbelievably screwed up, regardless of the sex.

I am angry because we are unable to confront such a group of youths. I am angry because I have to be afraid every time I run into them. I am angry because I have to look at them destroying my city and restrain myself from saying anything. I am angry because have to take a walk with my guest from abroad with the fear that someone may attack us if they hear us speaking English.

People say that we should stand up the ones we are afraid of. But, is that really possible? If the police are unwilling and unable to do something about it, to protect us, how can we protect ourselves? Most sensible people will rather stay out of any kind of an argument or a fight. It’s quite normal, because they do not want to risk being hurt. But, if we continue to stay out of it, we will always be intimidated. The question that I am trying to get is: how do we confront it?

Another thing I wanted to mention is so-called “patriotism” that the hooligans and ultra- nationalistic organizations are so proud of. The Wikipedia definition of the word is: “Patriotism is love of and/or devotion to one's country”. Those people are NOT patriots because they don’t love their country. Otherwise, they would respect it and would not dishonour it. They would not make their co-citizens embarrassed and scared. The patriots are my friends Kika, Vesna and Miroslav who give a respectful, clean and friendly image of Serbia to the world. They are not less Serbian because they have traveled so much and met so many people. On the contrary, they are far more Serbian that any of the vandals will ever be!

Furthermore, I want to make it clear to all true sport supporters that I do differentiate between them and the ones whose only desire is physical abuse. Out basket ball players, swimmers, water polo players and all others are the one who make us proud to be Serbian. Sport ≠ violence and the ones who promote aggression have no right to call themselves football, basketball or any sport supporters.

Some will say that I am pessimistic and that I’m exaggerating. They are right. Although, I have always been the one who was never afraid, now I am. Recent events have made me wonder whether this really is a safe city. However, I can’t and I don’t want to stay blind and deaf to the injustice.

I know that my voice will not make a difference. But, many people’s voices can make it. We, at least, have witnessed it so many times. Let there be a parade in Belgrade – a parade of the true Belgraders! A parade of the people who will say NO to the SAVAGERY and YES to PEACE, of the people who truly love this city and this country. I want a parade which will not have an attribute such as, “gay”, “patriot”, ‘democratic”, “nationalistic”, etc. I want a parade with the slogan “Peace, love and understanding” (I know it sounds like a cliché, but what the heck?!? ). Because, if we love and understand, if we are peaceful and happy, nothing else matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment